|Project Location:||Takoma Park, MD, Historic District|
|Project Summary:||Back Dormer Addition|
|Year of Completion:||2017|
|Aspects of Note:||Loft-Like Dormer Addition with Industrial Features & Custom Pergola Cover|
These are preliminary images of a dormer addition on my own home. The house is a 1917 “worker’s” bungalow in the historic district of Takoma Park. I work from home and the 2nd floor is now both office and bedroom. There are many unusual elements including:
- A vaulted Ceiling Clad with Galvanized, Corrugated Metal
- Exposed LVL Studs above 6ft
- LED Strip Lighting
- A Central Plywood Core that houses the office on one side and bed/dressing on the other
- Daylight streaming through from 4 sides
- Original Flooring That’s Been Stained with a Semi-Solid Stain (intended for wood siding).
A roof balcony visually and physically extends the space. The railing isn’t finished yet nor are the future large planting boxes and furnishings.
The palette is dominated by natural materials — oiled & raw woods, steel and copper — along with color saturated paints and fabrics.