About Braitman Design Studio
I’m Jackie Braitman, the principal of Braitman Design Studio. I want to introduce myself because what I do is very personal – to me as well as to my clients.
My design practice crosses the bounds of design, architecture, art and construction. You can think about my work as having 3 parts:
- A remodeling design/build practice — where I remodel older homes within the urban and close-in suburban areas of Washington, D.C.;
- A landscape design/build practice; and,
- A sculpture studio where I create large and small sculpture — sometimes on commission and sometimes “on spec”.
However, for me, they are all part of an integrated whole. My work follows certain themes:
- Daylight & Views: Our souls need daylight and beauty. We’re happier, more content and more productive when these needs are met. Some views are to outdoor garden rooms. But many views are interior views into inviting area or of art or architectural details.
- Central, Open Living Cores: Today’s families need areas to congregate together where each member can engage in separate activities while ensconced within the group. We also need private “away” places for quite activities and to re-group.
- Existing Footprint: Too often the response to today’s living requirements is to build the big “family room” addition. While leaving the original home empty of activity and living. This is incredibly wasteful in both building materials, family capital and energy costs. Instead, I focus on reconfiguring the existing footprint as well as selecting using bump-outs and small additions to enhance the living experience. Creating the central kitchen in an older home is often much more successful and comfortable than the large “great room”. This is because the spaces are often both more intimate and more flexible.
- Budget Constraints: I willingly work within the homeowner’s budget constraints knowing that we all have priorities in addition to our homes.
- Garden Rooms: Garden rooms of all types enlarge a home and increase our sense of comfort and connection.
- The Fabric of Established Neighborhoods: I strive to retain and improve the relationship of your home to it’s neighborhood – including the addition of front porches and the use of appropriate materials and architectural styles.
The various components of my work inform each other — I truly work at the intersection of art, architecture and design:
- Art – “A personal, unanalyzable creative power“;
- Architecture – “The practice of designing and building structures and especially habitable ones”; and,
- Design – “To devise for a specific function or end.”
[Definitions from Merriam-Webster Collegiate Online Dictionary]
I believe that magic occurs at this intersection. Magic that creates the essence of “Home.” Magic that achieves harmony in our competing needs for:
- Intimacy of enclosure counterbalanced by views into other possibilities.
- Rhythm and texture of repetition counterbalanced by the calm of solid construction.
- The stimulation of being part of the family counterbalanced by the peace of solitude.
- The inspiration of daylight and the out-of-doors counterbalanced by the comfort and protection of walls and a roof.
- Distinctive features that say this could only be my home counterbalanced by the need for the familiar profiles of “Home”.
Too often home remodeling is about limits – limits of cash, time, and imagination. Limits driven by whichever professional starts first – architect, designer, landscape architect, skilled artisan.
Instead, at Braitman Design, perceived limits of cash or space are turned to advantage. They inform the possibilities rather than constraining them. For example we are skilled at using inexpensive materials in novel ways. Of creating comfortable multi-use areas. Of using unique architectural features the solution to vexing problems.
Those who know me will find it strange to hear me speak about “essence” and “spirit” and “holistic”. I’m a pragmatist. I get things done rather than talk about them. But I think there is true magic when we achieve the harmony of “Home.”
Please see for yourself the extraordinary result when architecture, design and art are seamless parts of the whole. I invite you to meet me and to visit my studio or one of my projects.
Please Contact Us For a Preliminary Consultation